(Lead image via @meldcole/Instagram)
On Friday, June 24th, 2022, the United States Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade with a 5-4 decision. The landmark decision of 7-2 in 1973 deemed that the U.S. Constitution protected the right to an abortion and reproductive healthcare.
Following the reversal, footwear brands and sportswear-related companies responded by issuing statements and commitments to their employees, including their right to reproductive healthcare.
The story will be updated regularly as more brands announce their plans.
Stayed tuned to Nice Kicks for more news.
- Will pay up to $10,000 toward travel costs for employees who need to leave their state to seek reproductive healthcare services
Our comprehensive medical plans will continue to cover reproductive resources like contraception and abortion support, pregnancy, fertility, and other family planning and building services.
Where availability of abortion services may not be accessible close to home, our plan now covers travel and lodging expenses, up to $10,000 per occurrence, for all U.S. employees enrolled in the plan.Emailed statement (according to Oregon Public Broadcasting)
- Will cover travel costs of any U.S.-based employee who needs to travel to another state for reproductive healthcare services
Tomorrow, over half our country will wake up with fewer rights than the day before, or even decades ago. This feels counter to the progress for equity and self-autonomy we expect and demand.
There are dozens of states that will enact laws that will legally prohibit abortion, some as soon as today. We have stores and employees in these states, and our first priority is to consider and care for the members of our Flock.Joseph Zwillinger, Co-Founder of Allbirds (via LinkedIn)
Dicks’ Sporting Goods
- Will provide up to $4,000 in travel expense reimbursement to travel to the nearest location where care is legally available if a teammate lives in a state with restricted access to reproductive healthcare services
- This benefit will be provided to any teammate, spouse, or dependent enrolled in DSG’s medical plan, along with one support person
We recognize people feel passionately about this topic — and that there are teammates and athletes who will not agree with this decision.
However, we also recognize that decisions involving health and families are deeply personal and made with thoughtful consideration.
We are making this decision so our teammates can access the same health care options, regardless of where they live, and choose what is best for them.Lauren Hobart, President and CEO; Member of Board of Directors at Dick’s Sporting Goods (via LinkedIn)
- Benefit plans will support employees should they need to leave the state to access treatment related to their reproductive healthcare
- $500,000 contribution to @ReproRights and continued support to organizations such as @blkwomenshealth
Reproductive rights are human rights. We believe in the importance of wellbeing and the power of choice; the decision to overturn Roe v. Wade does not align with this belief.Lululemon (via Twitter)
- Will cover travel costs for employees who need to leave their state for reproductive healthcare services
No matter where our teammates are on their family planning journey – from contraception and abortion coverage, to pregnancy and family-building support through fertility, surrogacy and adoption benefits – we are here to support their decisions.
We cover travel and lodging expenses in situations where services are not available close to home and regularly make adjustments to our benefits to ensure employees have access to the quality healthcare they need.Internal statement (according to The Oregonian)
Following the publication of the story, PUMA responded via Instagram about its policy in response to the Roe v. Wade reversal:
PUMA will provide confidential travel support to employees and their families residing in states that will not offer family planning services.
Our goal is to ensure access to the best care possible for our employees and their personal choices. We stand with all of our athletes, employees, and partners in their right to make choices about their own body, health, and well-being.PUMA (via Instagram comment)
The company, at the time of publication, did not explicitly state if travel costs or any other expenses for reproductive healthcare services would be covered.
PUMA supports every woman’s right to determine what happens to her own body.
We support our athletes and our employees in their right to make choices about their own well being, as well as those of their families.PUMA (via Twitter)
- Cover travel costs for team members who may need to travel out of state to access reproductive healthcare services
- Expanded U.S. benefit policy to cover essential & elective procedures impacted by the decision
We take seriously our responsibility to support the health and well-being of our people — and I’m moved to see many other companies taking a similar approach.Tracy Cote, Chief People Officer at StockX (via LinkedIn)