James Bond of Undefeated: “true (sneaker) head has become almost non-existent”

Published yesterday in Issue 006 of The Trade, a journal published by Boylston Trading Company, James Bond, the Co-Owner and Co-Founder of Undefeated went on record about what is next for the brand including a move eastward.  One answer about the sneaker community or sneaker heads has caused some conversation on twitter and other social mediums.

When asked about how the consumer has changed citing the events of the limited Jordan 4 collaboration and the recent Undefeated Foot Locker deal, Bond responded:

Our business landscape has changed and the majors are going to move with or without you…. The ?sneaker head? so to speak is no longer a viable business model as the true (sneaker) head has become almost non-existent. You have to learn to appeal to the masses in a creative and tasteful way. Converse has allowed us to do just that with the program we are doing with Footlocker.

Check out the interview in its entirety and see the new Undefeated collection at Boylston Trading Company.

Comments

1. DavidSwaveyRigney says:

chea.

2. JoshuaOconer says:

i agree. its al about hype and not about what you really like anymore. stop killin the game ya’ll.

1. TacoSoopreme says:

@JoshuaOconer You hit the nail right on the head

2. joel oliver says:

?@JoshuaOconer?Word. ?Although, I still don’t really understand his statement. ?I read the interview, think there was some context that would explain it better. ?He says the sneaker heads aren’t a viable business model, and if we’re talking stupid limited releases like the UDFTD IVs, I would understand how that’s not viable, you can’t make 100 pair of shoes and make money, but he acts as if things changed, I don’t see how things changed. ?From a business standpoint there are just more people, who are all more willing to buy any release from a brand like UDFTD, ignoring merit, because of the hype. ?He says they expanded to the release with Converse for Footlocker, due to the growth potential, which makes complete sense, but I don’t understand what that has to do with the death of the “head” so to speak. ?How does that make a difference either way? ?Just because there are more kids running around lusting after the limited release SBs, etc? ?Seems like that’d be a net positive for the industry, money wise… it means the product becomes diluted, and it certainly has done that, but from a business perspective, seems like it worked out pretty nicely for Mr. Bond.

3. joel oliver says:

?@JoshuaOconer?Word. ?Although, I still don’t really understand his statement. ?I read the interview, thinking there was some context that would explain it better. ?He says the sneaker heads aren’t a viable business model, and if we’re talking stupid limited releases like the UDFTD IVs, I would understand how that’s not viable, you can’t make 100 pair of shoes and make money, but he acts as if things changed, I don’t see how things changed. ?From a business standpoint there are just more people, who are all more willing to buy any release from a brand like UDFTD, ignoring merit, because of the hype. ?He says they expanded to the release with Converse for Footlocker, due to the growth potential, which makes complete sense, but I don’t understand what that has to do with the death of the “head” so to speak. ?How does that make a difference either way? ?Just because there are more kids running around lusting after the limited release SBs, etc? ?Seems like that’d be a net positive for the industry, money wise… it means the product becomes diluted, and it certainly has done that, but from a business perspective, seems like it worked out pretty nicely for Mr. Bond.

1. mushroomphysics says:

?@joel oliver?I agree. The gist of things is that limited edition runs aren’t a good business model anymore because demand far outweighs supply. More money can be made selling the shoe to the masses and completely ignoring the collector. This eliminates the sneaker ?head from the market, as there isn’t anything that they own that couldn’t be had by visiting your local foot locker or finish line.

3. Will19 says:

no one is a real sneakerhead any more. all ppl do is wear nike and j’s, no variation.

4. omarellis says:

it’s funny.? Even though I like it, sites like this one are part of the problem.

1. Sam_NoIAm says:

?@omarellis I hate to say it but you’re right. I personally do appreciated Nice Kicks, Sole Collector, etc. for giving good insight on a variety of shoes and not just Nike or Jordan.? There is still some hope our there though

1. omarellis says:

?@Sam_NoIAm it’s not even their fault.? it’s the internet more than anything.? Information spreads too quickly and is available to people who would have never had access previously.? It’s a good thing overall, but leaves things a mile wide and an inch deep.

1. Sam_NoIAm says:

?@omarellis true

2. EvilChuckDiesel says:

?@omarellis?well stated.

5. Tanner Rosinski says:

Internet destroyed the sneaker head

6. Joe Gasque says:

The internet n piss poor quality….

7. Brittany Little says:

I agree

8. Curtis Reine says:

I hate to say it , but he’s right. Been collecting kix for 20yrs. It used to fun, now it’s been ruined by resellers, hype beasts, poor quality , and greedy shoe company’s . It’s pretty bad when u can’t buy a 150$ shoe for less than 300$ after the resellers buyem out…..

9. JerusaReem says:

The internet crushed all of us real sneakerheads who have been collecting for more than 5 years….as well as all these stupid kids nowadays who created the hype….the game is so dead now every shoe sells out within seconds its disgusting….also the quality on sneakers has gone donwhill….RIP

1. AdolfoGomez says:

?@JerusaReem?true story

10. bswole3 says:

You should be able to go with what you like

11. TheFakeLou says:

Times change and people change. Those who fail to evolve with the movement gets left behind. Every generation of people think theyre the best for biased reasons. OG sneaker heads think theyre better for whatever reason and they dislike the newer generation of sneaker heads because of things they didnt have ( internet, flight club, forums, etc). Its just the way things are ( as of now).?If you dont like it, dont participate in it.

1. DLQ1 says:

?@TheFakeLou? I think you got it twisted a bit. OG heads don’t like newer heads because newer heads don’t know the essence of the find. The newer heads have it quite easy living in the internet/information age. Just because this is the way it is now, doesn’t mean its correct. You seem to be just accepting and tolerating. More and more society is becoming half ass because of technology, and to accept things for what it is seems to be half ass answer.

1. TheFakeLou says:

?@DLQ1
        ?Of course im accepting it! i know its fucked up, but i rather have sneakers in my life than no sneakers at all. I accept the sneaker game’s essence instead of imposing my beliefs in what is should be.

12. CedricQuartey says:

Nothing wrong with anyone buying a pair of shoes that they like, that’s the reason shoes are sold. Its the resellers that are causing the problem in my opinion. You are doing something rite if people of all ages want to buy your product.

1. ShaBB says:

?@CedricQuartey?Thats the problem bro. Most of these cats today just buy the shoes because of the hype. I can guarantee that 85% of those that buy Jordans and foams now and days have no idea of the history about the shoe they just buy them because of the brand name. Its pretty pathetic if you ask me

1. jleeang says:

?@ShaBB?What I’m a bit confused about is all this “they don’t know the history” talk going around. At the end of the day, the shoe is a consumer good, regardless of whether MJ played in it when he had the flu or hit a winning shot against the Cavs. So sure, it may mean a lot to someone (and i respect that) but why do you expect someone else buying the shoe to have the same knowledge and appreciation as you? Do you have the same historical background and knowledge when you go to to purchase other consumer goods? Or did you buy that branded t-shirt because it looked good? Like @CedricQuartey? said, Jordan brand have figured it out if they release a product that attracts a big target audience. What most of these sneakerheads on this forum saying ‘oh, i remember there was a time where lines were non-existent’ are essentially bitching about is that they have to get up earlier or camp out to get some heat. But hey! I’m sure that McDonalds line was shorter ten years ago too.

1. ShaBB says:

?@jleeang?A real sneaker head knows his or her shoes and the history of what it is that they are wearing and any true sneaker head will tell you that. You’re talking about the business aspect which is good I can dig your business lesson but this isn’t business class. I know about the business and thats not the debate. The debate is about these so called “shoe heads” thats buying the shoe because of the next man or because of the name of the brand. I don’t expect anyone to know as much as I know, but I do expect those that don’t know their history on the shoe not to put themselves in the same category of a sneaker head like I or any other shoe head because they aren’t a shoe head. They are what we call “hypebeast”.?

2. jleeang says:

?@ShaBB?I take your point and if the debate is solely about classification, then I agree that ‘hypebeasts’ shouldn’t categorise themselves as a ‘sneakerheads’. However, I do believe that there is a certain degree of dedication for someone to camp out in the cold or wake up really early to purchase a product they want. Compare their efforts to the self-labelled OG sneakerheads who want to sleep in and rock up at 9am expecting to purchase their size. All in all, I’m just disgusted that people in all the sneaker forums are trying to stop others from purchasing the products with the flimsy excuse that they’re not ‘sneakerheads’.?

3. CedricQuartey says:

@jleeang @ShaBB y’all make good points. If companies sell shoes to jus sneakerheads, they won’t make no money. The fact is we are all hypebeats, period. We complain bout someone jus wearing it cuz of its brand an whatnot, an how we hate the hype, yet we still buy the shoe anyways. We complain about others being able to get the same thing, yet we buy it anyways. If its not about the brand, why don’t we buy a different lesser known brand then?? A sneaker head buyer and a hypebeast buyer or no different in the fact that they are both buying the same exact product, what difference does the reason make?? Having said that, if the reason is to resell for insane markup, thats a different issue. Buy the shoes you want, an wear them, who cares what another human has on their feet.

4. ShaBB says:

I disagree we all are not hypebeasts smh ??

5. jordansince1988 says:

?@ShaBB ShaBB!!! preach my man Amen teach em keep it going i thought i was on my own lol the whole point is all these children are buying shoes solely because of hype! not because they even like jordans or Jordan as a player…but because the next man did it…its disgusting this generation is a follower generation…they all copy each other…in my days we said F following lets take this and make our own style all these children want to be like these loser rappers and each other as werid as that may sound…its crazy man these kids are followers they killed *murdered* the bueatiful shoegame what use to be only among us true sneakerheads we got? evaded by these wannabes and now pop culture is trying to kill it more…SMH Death to the wannabe sneakerheads…

6. jleeang says:

?@jordansince1988? Well I’m 20 so lets be clear on the fact that you were collecting Jordans well before I was born. My only?quarrel with your?argument is your blatant flaming of my generation for buying shoes because of the “hype”. Sure, everybody has their own reasons for buying the shoes but lets face it, you wouldn’t be buying the shoe if MJ himself had not “hyped” the shoe. The Spike Lee commercials, the fact that MJ himself wore the 1s despite it being banned from the NBA was to create “hype”. Every second post from nicekicks.com come from writers in YOUR generation claiming that these Jordans were their favourite and they grew envious when the kids at school at them, yet they couldn’t afford them so they ended up with this other shoe instead (the Olajuwons). So I agree with @ShaBB? in saying that “hypebeasts” shouldn’t be classifed as shoe heads but people like you are exactly the type of so called OG sneakerheads whose dedication I call into question because you cry about waking up a few hours earlier to pick up your favourite kicks.
          ?
          The second part of “the game” that you must understand is that kids nowadays have MORE money. If Jordans were an accessible consumer good to every kid in your generation, lets be honest, you would have massive lines everytime a drop came up. A business lesson for sure but one I assume is appropriate.?
          ?
          Finally, I must call to attention your contradiction of your own argument by your previous two comments. You boldly claim that you make your own style and then blast other people for escaping the norm of wearing baggy/slim cut jeans.?
          ?
          I’m sorry for the essay but I’ve had enough of this bullshit blasphemy coming from these forums. Just let people buy their shoes.?

13. jordansince1988 says:

Amen! finally some in a higher position then me speaking the truth! i thank this man to the fullest….this is what i’ve been yelling about preaching about! that why i say these things about these 15-20yr old wannabe sneakerheads killing im sorry *destorying* the game…they killed it…being followers getting into this solely becuase of hype! all because Jay Z and kayne wanted to go around hypeing up the black cement 3s! and these children seen them rocking js so hey! we look up to these losers so we need to get into it too…! SMH.!! this generation is nothing but pure followers and wannabes doing what the next man does…thats why 1 man wore some women jeans they all followed…its disgusting the shoegame is torn apart these kids kill it….its Sad…it truely is…they toke somthing we all loved and murdered it! never was their lines like today! and i been doing this for a while….and for all the craziest heat was there no lines! i mean maroon 6s!! comon! no lines…i can state about over 200shoes that there were no lines for that were so much more heat..but ever since these 15-20yr old wannabe sneakerheads joined its dead…..SMH

14. WrMepstead87 says:

If people wear what they like how is that killing the game? What about people that wear j’s for the history of the shoes? Of foams 1′s because they liked penny not because someone wore them? I think some people need to chill and accept that other people like shoes too…whether their young, old or whatever…

1. EvilChuckDiesel says:

?@WrMepstead87?His point is that REAL heads know nike, adidas, pumas, even pro keds back in the day. ?Most of these kids can’t name anything that hasn’t been hyped or retroed. ?They’re NOT sneakerheads, that just makes them Jordan and Penny stans. ?Wouldn’t be able to tell a court force from a cortez.

15. WillieB says:

Not to sound too overly emotional on this subject but.. Over the last few days I’ve decided that I’m done with the sneaker culture, I stopped & looked at how mainstream its becoming, how everyone online believes 10 pair of anything makes you a Sneaker Head and how negative the older Head’s are becoming. Not all of us younger Head’s are into sneakers because of the hype, media exposure, exclusivity etc, etc. I’ve always tried to learn the history behind the sneakers that have caught my eye, understand the thought process that went into the design & find out the inspirations behind those thoughts. Simply because I believe that without knowledge of why something is great there can’t be any true appreciation for it. Lately I’ve noticed allot of older Sneaker Head’s criticizing some of the newer Head’s such as myself. At a point & time I thought this community was based on acceptance of others & the appreciation of sneakers. Now it seems like the community I’ve proudly claimed to be a part of wants to shut people around my age (19) out. I honestly never believed I’d ever give up on something I loved this much.

1. DavidLoewen1 says:

?@WillieB?
      reall talk willie real talk

2. SirEddieGold says:

?@WillieB older heads will always knock the next generation.?

16. Elio Cruz says:

Sneakerheads do still live on, it just we dont showoff like most cats do. The sad part is that a lot of us were around when most sneakers made their debut. The kids now in days just know the retros so the connection is never there. We connect with the sneakers because we grew up with them. They were a part of our childhoods. I think that is the division that exists in the spectrum of sneaker culture.

17. Joe Gasque says:

Elio preach!

18. Tyrone Wills says:

it’s sad but true just like real mcs are almost non existent

19. Jayson Allen says:

@Elio exactly. Can’t blame the kids that never had them though. Blame the companies for lacking creativity. None of it bothers me because I usually am able to get what I want I’m just tired of hearing about it. I still buy and wear what I like just like I did 15 years ago.

20. James Jackson says:

Whatever people here’s a sneakerhead right here in me. The game has changed no doubt with ebay and everything but everything has changed from twenty plus years ago. So what. U gotta deal with long lines and jerkoffs who resale for 2,3,4 times what the shoe cost. If u want the shoe, stack up &buy it. But jordan brand does need to quit reissuing classics n non og colors. THAT IS Wack. &y’all boys do need to wear more than jus Nike and Jordans. Quit bein afraid