Nick Young Explains his “Not Wearing Jordans Anymore” Comment

Nick Young

Earlier this month, Washington Wizards shooting guard Nick Young expressed his discontent with NBA owners and their stance during the NBA lockout. He specifically showed his dissatisfaction with one of the player-turned-owners we are all too familiar with, Michael Jordan. After learning about MJ’s stance to offer the players no more than 47 percent, Nick Young took to his Twitter with this comment: ?I’m not wearing Jordans no more. Can’t believe what I just seen and heard from MJ #ElvisDoneLeftTheBuilding.?

We caught up with Nick Young a couple of weeks ago to ask him about the comment he made regarding Michael Jordan. Will he continue his strike from Jordan sneakers or was he just speaking out of frustration? Check out his comments below pertaining to this subject matter. Also, Young speaks on his anticipation of Kobe Bryant’s new sneaker and how NikeiD is his favorite site.

On his comment regarding Michael Jordan and Jordan Brand Footwear:

“I was just a little hurt by the comments that I heard from Michael Jordan. As a kid, that was like my favorite player. It was just the things he said about the lockout and how we, the players, don’t deserve too much. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I was just speaking out of frustration though because I was a Jordan kid growing up. I had every Jordan when I was younger. I actually like the “Doernbecher” Air Jordan 4s that just came out. Those are really hard.”

On NikeiD and the Kobe Bryant signature line:

“That’s my site right there. Nike knows that. They send me NikeiD pairs sometimes. I’m waiting on the new Kobes to come out. Those look hard. I’ll definitely be wearing Kobes when the season starts back up.”

Comments

1. Jamal Crews says:

wow that’s weak. ?said something and went back on it. ?can’t blame him. ?he wants those free kicks.

1. Codeinefiemd713 says:

Man fuck this homofaggot no name nobody. Who gives a fuck if he wears j’s or not, that just means one less gay nigga wearing jordans lmfao. Play basketball bitch and stop trying to make headlines pussy over irrelevant shit cunt

1. treesty says:

you talk to your mom with that mouth? ?relax and sip some syzzyrp brah.

2. champppp says:

no name? u must not know much,and i doubt he was trying to make headlines..its his twitter

3. I don’t think he was trying to make headlines, but why do you seem so upset?

4. Cashsimon100 says:

you talk shit like u ball and got a shoegame like bye bitch stfu

2. ….sounds like a bitch nigga if you ask me. all because a nigga said something and you decide not to wear his shoe?…gtfoh

you sound dumb. I bet if your boss at mcdonalds cut your salary from 6 to 5 dollars for no reason, you’d be tha first person boycotting tha place. And we talking 1 dollar, not millions

1. why air the nigga MJ out? why can’t you just not wear his shoe? (and besides, i Mickey D’s isn’t my steeze homie)

1. Dirty Mike says:

Rite… I saw you at Burger King the other day

2. Johnnythrorocks says:

This doesn’t make any sense.

1. Guest says:

He’s saying that this guy would get mad if his pay got cut by a guy he pays hundreds of dollars too thru his shoeline.

3. Chan Grail-E says:

I kind of agree with you, but its hard to feel sorry for NBA players who at the worst are making high six figures but still insist on living beyond?their means.. while im a college student going to school just so i could hope to make 6 figures…. just sayin?

What? These dudes make MILLIONS of dollars. I love basketball and the players, but most of them deserve a paycut, as far as I’m concerned. Same with the other professional sports. Even if they get their checks cut, it’s not like they will be in line for food stamps anytime soon.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in neither an economic sense nor a business sense. ?These players whether it be NBA, NFL, MLB etc. have an inelastic good and a finite period in which to sell that good. ?It is not the player that you should be frustrated with if you are unhappy with their salaries you need look no farther than yourself and your fellow fans, as well as the owners, in order to place the blame. ?For if not for these two groups there would be no “outrageously high” salaries. ?Therefore the remedy to this problem lies almost completely in your (you and your fellow fans) hands. ?If you want to see a reduction in player’s salaries its quite simple: stop going to games, stop watching games, stop purchasing memorabilia and stop giving your attention to these teams and players. ?It is only with this type of action that you can turn professional sports from an inelastic good into an elastic good. ?Once you’ve done that, there will be no choice for these teams but to reduce cost and therefore reduce salaries…well that or fold up shop.

1. noComment says:

do you seriously think you will follow this crap? i mean for all we know you could be cheering for you favorite team at this very moment….just saying tho

I won’t follow this “crap” as you put it, because I don’t believe that athletes are overpaid at all. ?I don’t think that it’s possible to over pay them, they are only being paid what fair market price is for their talents and skill set. ?Player’s salaries are determined by what the market will bare, and therefore the only way to change that is to change the market. ?I believe that professional athletes deserve every cent that they are able to earn, they must use said skills in an extremely finite window to obtain financial security for not only themselves but their family and their children’s families. ?And yet there will always be the person who believes that they don’t deserve the money they make, but their frustration is misplaced; it should be directed towards the owners & GMs who offer the contracts and the fans whose continued support allows the former to have the funding to make said contracts possible.

Look, I understand all that. I’ve been following professional sports for a long time. I understand how the system works. The owners are billionaires, therefore, the players are millionaires. The owners put in the highest bids for the best players. You don’t have to explain that to me. In all honesty, I’m not against the players making money, because it is their livelihood, and we all wish we had that kind of money too. I’m just tired of these owners throwing away 100 million dollar contracts to players that give half of their all on the field, court, etc. Even worse, they pay these rookies more than the veterans, and haven’t even played one goddamn game yet. Yes, some rookies are super talented, but what if he don’t turn out to be the player that you thought he would be? That sets your franchise back. You got these greedy ass owners that want to build these huge stadiums entirely off of the taxpayer’s money, without the owners using much of their own, much less at all. I understand your points. But the thing that people see the most is you got these millionaires and billionaires fighting over money, while the whole country is in the middle of a recession, people lost their jobs, their homes forclosed on, people camping out in parks protesting against Wall Street. And they got to see this bullshit? If the players want their money, they better learn how to save it.

4. Dirty Mike says:

Obama is our first Nigerian President

2. Louie Louie Louie says:

The thing is…I think you’re right: players deserve a paycut, but so do the owners…in the end, the people who deal with the outcome are the fans who go to the stadiums…they should be the ones dictanting not about percentages, but about MONEY AMOUNTS they’re willing to pay both for watching the sport.

2. Louie Louie Louie says:

So you say if said nigga is humping you from behind and tries to cut your paycheck you should keep paying him….

Bitch niggas wear their bosses product even when they diss him

3. ED says:

best to not sh$T where your dinner comes from…

4. Nick who? I’m sure MJ couldn’t give less of a shit.

5. blankman says:

So what? He’s a homo, just look at his hair

he gets paid to play ball, hows that 9-5?

6. Teezy says:

Moral of the story is that the kobes are one of the best shoes being dropped!

7. Gary says:

Waste of time. Players don’t deserve shit. More and more players are getting max contract money and they don’t deserve it. How the fuck was Joe Johnson getting paid more than Kobe at one point and even LeBron. If you don’t bring in big revenue to the team then you should get paid peanuts. LeBron put the Cavs on the map and made the franchise more money than any other player ever will yet due to rules he was making than players who didn’t do anywhere near as much.

8. Lbjmelo1523 says:

fuck anybode who got sumthin 2 say about my man Nick. That nigga got game and he got game and he gonna be sumthin 2 talk about in the years to come> BJT MOTHAFUCKAS

1. Dirty Mike says:

Word to Big Bird

9. Rubin says:

@Gary I agree with you but the oweners need a pay cut too thou!! Those 1% are modern day slave herders if you ask me…..

10. Ghettoboiallstar says:

mj doesn’t pay him shit. he plays for the wizards. I don’t blame nick young at all. Thats his decision. I honestly could never stop wearing jordans but thats just me. Obviously this won’t hurt mj’s pockets cuz its only one person and he gets free kicks anyways. It sends a message to MJ tho.

11. Ghettoboiallstar says:

that was a pussy move to talk shit then change his mind like that though.

12. HeroAJ says:

he just felt alittle hurt yo,his hero broke his heart…leave the man alone

1. Cynny says:

so what? because he’ll get paid $3 mil instead of $4 mil? (example, not fact) i could careless what jordan said, athletes are some of the highest paid people, and they just getting greedy…hence all these lockouts…

13. kidswithkicks says:

These lockouts just how how greedy professional athletes are, they get free shit all the time, and get paid double-triple what us “average” everyday workers will make in a lifetime. For making that stupid ass bullshit comment, Nick should never be able to wear J’s again and get a pay cut.

14. dabo says:

We all keep hearing athletes talking about the new Kobe’s! That’s wassup

15. MONEYMAKINGMITCH says:

dude when mj played ball did he was offered mad bread, and didnt say i dont deserve this much. now young cats getting in the league want to shine and get theyre money mj is saying naaa u dont deserve too much. dude MICHEAL JORDAN MAKES ZILLIONS OFF US BUYING BULLSHIT SHOES LIKE CP3S AND WADE FLYS LET ALONE THE AIR JORDAN 1-23. ?U MEAN TO TELL ME IF HE WAS YOUR BOSS AND U KNOW HES GETTING ALLLLLLL THAT BREAD AND TOOK YOUR PARENTS MONEY TO GET U A PAIR OF 11S FOR CHRISTMAS WHEN HES BEING A JEW AND WANTS TO CUT YOUR PAYCHECK YOU NOT GOING TO BOYCOTT THAT MOFO ? DUDE NICK YOUNG U SHOULDVE STOOOD THE HELL UP RIGHT THEN AND THERE BRO. MJ RE RETROS RETROS NOW. I WOULDVE STRAIGHT PRESSED MJ. MICHAEL JORDAN IS A PERSON NOT A GOD AT THE END OF THE DAY.

1. Louie Louie Louie says:

totally agrreing with this comment. The thing here is Jordan should have said the same thing whe HE was a player. Not when he’s an owner. So suddenly you’re on the other side and things look a little differente huh?

I don’t blame any side (neither players or owners) on fighting for themselves. At the end of the day, the money you take home is only the money you fought for…but Jordan…COME ON SON!!!!…you’re revealing yourself as a true gold digger nigga!. Maybe the next JB release will be the “Air Scrooge”…which will only give you 47% of the performance on court you need.

16. Flightschool23 says:

Why Nick Young rocking’ the jheri curl theaux :(

17. Bsnitrix says:

Jordan only got paid considerable cash as a player (not including endorsements) in his last couple years due to him signing long term contracts, even Jerry Krause has said he was a bargain in comparison to other players considering what he gave them. MJ only got paid mega (~30million/season) in his last two seasons as a bull, prior it was more like 3Million and considering he was the chicago bull’s income… I’m gonna say that’s worth it

Props to Nick Young

Boycott Jordan Jew Mofo hypocrit ass

I’m sad that there are people who still support Jordan Brand even though their product gets shittier and shittier every year. They stabbed us in the heart with the increase in price and the decrease in quality

I loved Jordan growing up but only as a player, but he wouldn’t be paid without us

19. he probably went back on that comment knowing that one day he could be a free agent and need to be signed by mj. and mj would be like bitch please you said you werent gonna wear my shoes anymore.?

20. Arod402 says: