Return To Barcelona: Air Jordan 7 Olympics

Air Jordan 7 Olympics return to BarcelonaWhile I have enjoyed my time in Barcelona at Bread and Butter and at the grand opening of the new Opium store, there was one primary reason for my travels – to visit the arena that Michael Jordan and the Dream Team played in. Not only was it in my vision to make the trek to this place where the greatest basketball team of all time played, but to wear the Olympic Air Jordan 7 and bring the shoe back to the space where it achieved its significance to me.

The place where the US dominated the world, Pavell?? Ol??mpic de Badalona (now known as the Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona), is quite tattered from first glance. While driving by one my see the graffiti covering its exterior, hear the sirens of passing Pol??cia, or smell the urine that soaks the pillars of the structure, but what gives this place (or disgrace) its importance and its significance is what took place here sixteen years ago.

I nearly circled the entire structure when I happened upon an open door thanks to preparations for an upcoming concert. I found my way through the halls of the building to the floor of the arena. Words cannot describe looking up to the rafters picturing what it looked like to see the Stars and Stripes hanging from above. I was able to take just enough photos of my Olympic and Mir?? Jordan 7s on the scorers desk where once sat dozens of reports broadcasting the Dream Teams epic road to Gold in several dozen languages. The party ended when the head nods and “holas” were no longer enough and I was ordered to leave.

On the dirty steps of the arena I took more shots of the shoes just before I left. No way could I stop photographing – even after being asked to “vamos” by the police. Nothing gets in the way of me and a good sneaker story…

Air Jordan 7 Olympic on scorer’s desk in Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Air Jordan 7 Mir?? on scorer’s desk in Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Air Jordan 7 Olympics return to Barcelona
Air Jordan 7 Mir?? and Air Jordan 7 Olympic on scorer’s desk in Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Rafters of the Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Air Jordan 7 Olympics return to Barcelona
“Se??or, honestly, foto de zapatos!”

Front entry to Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Air Jordan 7 Olympics return to Barcelona
Air Jordan 7 Mir?? and Air Jordan 7 Olympic on steps of Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Air Jordan 7 Olympic on steps of Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Air Jordan 7 Mir?? on steps of Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Air Jordan 7 Olympic on steps of Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Air Jordan 7 Mir?? on steps of Palau Municipal d’Esports de Badalona

Comments

1. vulkan says:

simply Impressed by all this Matt…doing it big

2. mic check 212 says:

WHAT?!

The law was after you for taking photos outside the arena?!

Great write up though Matt. This truly goes down in the history of the craziest things ppl will do just for the love of shoes.

3. Nice Kicks says:

haha,

welllllll, I actually got in ish while I was in the arena. We live in a day and age where someone going around a large strucutre taking photos makes ppl think something worse than a kid trying to relive something that he saw on a 22″ TV 16 years ago.

The door that i went in through wasn’t exactly wide open. The stadium has at least 40 doors on its bottom floor and I went from door to door looking for one that was left unlocked. But in the end, all worth it :-)

4. Jumpoffjune says:

LoL….NICE! I KNEW WHEN I READ YOU FOUND AN “OPENED DOOR” THERE WAS MORE TO IT!! I IMAGINED A CROW BAR, OR MAYBE SOME JAMES BOND TYPE BREAKING AN ENTERING! THE OUTSIDE LOOKS DEPRESSING TO SAY THE LEAST TO IMAGINE ALL THE HISTORY THAT ONCE HAPPENED BACK in 92!! BUT NICE STORY!!

5. bulldogskoleff says:

sick story but those 7s are possibly the ugliest jordans ever made… im sry but they are awful

6. opus138 says:

BAD ASS!! Nice writeup :)

I’m digging the Mir??s, actually.

7. jordanhead312 says:

the REAL olypic 7s is waaaay better i wouldnt mind getting the new one but i dont want my first pair of 7s to be that thing

8. P3 says:

That must of been amazing.

9. greenmaker24 says:

olympic 7s r sexy but those new ones r ugly

10. sneakerhead3 says:

yeah i love the stories. but the new olym. sevens are pretty bad t ome. i am thinking about getting the black,red, and yellow aj7s for school and maybe some ajf12[playoffs]. who knows i cant stick to any shoe plans lol. but i like the older olympic 7s. the new ones might be a great colloctors item, scratch it, will be. just demoralizing to wear l0l.

11. Brooklyn says:

Such a touching story Matt. I wish I could watch it all over again with the same feeling. Those shoes are a part of history but I’m not in love with those new VIIs

12. abelino says:

some people are lucky (MATT) both kicks are fire you did good…

13. Austin says:

man did u ever wear those Olympic 7′s?

14. Glen Mac says:

i actually saw the dream team play in person when i was still living in portland back in the day at the memorial coliseum, it was the qualifying “tournament of the americas.” what a great team that was! clyde, mj, magic, bird, etc. = awesome.

15. Sneaker King says:

nice write up n photography

16. Air Jordan 2 says:

Dudes need to really quit hatein on these if anything least jordan brand comin with new things to the retros because if they was comin out with all the orginal colors all the some knowin yall dudes yall would be complaining come out with new designings

17. kidnike88 says:

wow, great story
    if only ppl appreciated kix like we do

18. Nice Kicks says:

Thank you everyone for the comments. Getting into that place and walking the same floor that the team did and sitting near the benches was such an unbelievable rush.

I recognize many of you aren’t “sold” on the Mir?? and I can understand that. In no way am I trying to compare them to the Olympics, but they were in my backpack and came along for the journey because of what the shoes represent.

Something that hasn’t been shown on the web yet is the sole of the graffics. On one shoe it lists the scores of each game and the other shoe lists Jordan’s Olympic accomplishments. While the shoe will probably never win me over as the nicest looking Jordan shoe, or even something I would want to wear, the shoes have incredible meaning what they represent and how they also pay homage to one of Barcelona’s greatest artists.

Something of irony, when I was looking on the map to find the arena, there is a little pavilion immediately next to the place named after Joan Mir??.

Thanks everyone for the comments – I got a ton of email requests for the Jordan 7 Olympics on the steps of the Palau Municipal d???Esports de Badalona to be made into a wallpaper. I will post this in about 22 hours once I arrive home to Texas ( long day of travelling :-/ )

19. IkonRadio.com says:

Dope post Matt. You’re an assignment journalist at heart bro. LOL!

But seriously though. I re-lived those moments looking at this post so thanks bro.

20. xkaliba says:

a true Jordan and bball fan. Thanks for doing this Matt!