Throwback Thursday – Air Force 180 Pump

Throwback Thursday - Nike Air Force 180 Pump

A few weeks ago we posted one a Charles Barkley PE Air Force 180, but though many consider that shoe a high top sneaker, Nike took that model one step higher. In the early 90′s Nike responded to Reebok’s Pump with their own series of basketball sneakers that featured Air Pump technology that gave the wearer a better fit about the ankle. David Robinson was the signature athlete to represent the high top Nike Pump series that included the Nike Air Pressure, Nike Air Command Force, and the last (and this week’s Throwback) Nike Air Force 180 Pump.

Like Chuck’s version, the shoe has cosmetic touches such as speckled and fading midsole, but the sheer high top of the shoe and its hefty pricetag of $175 made the shoe a tough sale in the not so strong economy in 1992. So far, Nike has not brought back any of the Air Pump shoes as retros, but our fingers are crossed that at least one of the three models will return. We have taken several photos for your viewing pleasure and have also posted one of the commercials that Nike broadcast to promote the shoe featuring the Admiral.

Throwback Thursday - Nike Air Force 180 Pump

Throwback Thursday - Nike Air Force 180 Pump
Throwback Thursday – Nike Air Force 180 Pump

Throwback Thursday - Nike Air Force 180 Pump
Throwback Thursday – Nike Air Force 180 Pump

Throwback Thursday - Nike Air Force 180 Pump
Throwback Thursday – Nike Air Force 180 Pump

Comments

1. Ti-boy says:

The are hot! I’d cop if they’re rereleased

2. nikeindabutt says:

If retroed I will get at any cost…now please salute the true Nike hightop “boot”…*moment of silence*

3. damnneardeadstock says:

such a hot shoe. bring back TRUE hightops, nike!!

4. bkbigjay says:

dang these are fire. kinda high, but i would still wear em. i like the sir charles junts too, but i hate the strap, so i like these better. if the cost 175 then, i wonder how much they would cost now. the technology isn’t as good as now in terms of performance but they should still cost allot.

5. Flatsole says:

Holy crap…Matt just shut it down! Best Throwback Thursday yet

6. bkbigjay says:

can someone please tell me what these are called?
    i know its off topic but i have been tryin for a while now

1. lil'B says:

I had these exact shoe in 1991 for my 8th grade basketball team… they rocked. Wish I had them still. They are being sold on e-bay for $1,600!!!

7. PhilWil says:

I totally do not remember these sneakers. Nike made 2 more ‘pumps’ other than these? AND they cost 174 even back in the day?

I think any sneaker buff would want these in their collection. It is the true hi-top.

anybody know why sneaker makers stopped making the hi-top sneaker and went with the mids? Was it a fashion thing or a performance reason?

8. Nice Kicks says:

There were a number of reasons why Nike and other companies ditched the high top cut. High tops were a tougher sell to the average Joe who wanted a pair of kicks, but didn’t care about performance.

In the mid 90s black based kicks was really in style thanks in large part to the Fab Five and Barkley, so shoes were very hot as they were – the high top made them even hotter. High tops also cost Nike much more to produce so then more to the consumer. A raised production cost coupled with a lower selling price (due to not selling as well as lows or mids) did not work out for retailers or Nike.

Personally I love high top kicks. Since Nike hasn’t been bringing many true high tops back (besides the AF1s) I wear my Adidas Metro Attitudes and now my Conductors A LOT. I would really like to see Nike bring these back or any other of the pumps. With or without the tech they were an awesome shoe.

9. Nice Kicks says:

bkbigjay,

Those are the Nike Agendas. I haven’t seen those in YEARS!

10. Hobby Rock says:

THESE ARE THE SHOES THAT NIKE SHOULD BE RE-RETRO-ing. The fusions don’t even come close to these.

11. Boo says:

They look like handicapped boots or something, 2 hitop 4 me

12. flyasthesky says:

these pumps are bananas…grail status…those Agendas bkbigjay posted the link to are dope too, ive never seen those b4

13. IHEARTNIKE says:

INSTANT CLASSIC among collectors. If you haven’t seen these you probably weren’t born yet. You could twist the dial to pump different chambers then press the button to release the air! Where else could you do that! HOT! I still have my jacked up pair so I am jealous of this clean pair. If you can cop these somewhere, KEEP EM. You probably will never see em retro. I have seen em go for 2k+ on The BAY. AMAZING POST! Thank you NiceKicks!

14. AIR DANIEL says:

Really nice!!!

15. Jerome says:

After today, no more Throwback Thursday’s are needed! THEEEEEEEEEEESE ARE STRAIGHT FIRE!!!!!

16. TechNutt says:

Those are high, high tops. But I didn’t like them then and dont like them now. Way too much highness for me. Sorry to say but I’m straying from the pack.

17. callum says:

awesome

18. FelonyRuckus says:

I own a pair of these, I bought them because I had ankle problems at the time and they were very supportive. I liked playing ball with them but, they were HEAVY!!!!

19. crushgruve says:

these are my favorite sneakers of all time. salutes to the admiral…

20. killahdef says:

these kicks are whack son. i mean maybe back in the day, but honestly , whith everything that has come out since then, you would seriously pay for these? come on.